Thursday, May 19, 2011

African-American - News

African-American - News May 19, 2011

See African-American Weather

First Take: Lady GaGa's 'Born This Way' (GPB)
It's a sign of how completely politics and entertainment have merged that the most powerful protest singer of our time is also our most commercially successful young star.

Teachers sue over article that says whites unfit to teach blacks (WNFL-AM Green Bay)
Four white teachers are suing a black school principal after being required to read an article stating white teachers are unfit to teach African-American students.

A levee on the Mississippi River in Louisiana during the Great Flood of 1927.
A levee on the Mississippi River in Louisiana during the Great Flood of 1927. (National Public Radio)
A levee on the Mississippi River in Louisiana during the Great Flood of 1927. Along the mighty Mississippi River, rising waters carry musical echoes of the river's long history of floods.

Clarence Thomas' visit to Ga. Spurs debate (Ventura County Star)
Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas was welcomed with a mostly standing ovation when he took the podium Wednesday to dedicate Augusta's sparkling new courthouse, but not everyone stood.

Don Lemon: Homophobia, Racism and the Wider Culture (womanist-musings)
Much attention has been given to Lemon's commentary about the Black community, while ignoring what he had to say about his fear of what kind of reception he would receive from the LGBT community. This kind of silence tells me that once again a very specific narrative has been chosen to present to the public. In an interview with Loop21, Lemon had this to say regarding his fear of coming out: One of the reasons I didn't come out earlier is because I am not the Ken doll that represents the gay community. I didn't think anyone in the gay community would support me because I'm not the classic gay role model. I'm not the Clark Kent type. I would go and host events at gay organizations as a news anchor and I would be the only African-American in the room so I thought maybe, nobody's going to care because I'm not the blonde, white guy. That was a concern for me. (source) I have heard crickets chirp louder than the response to this quote. I found myself once again wondering why the focus is on the homophobia in the Black community and not the racism in the BLGT community? I certainly do not believe that White members of the TLBG community are uniquely racist, despite the continued appropriation of our history, assertions that Gay is The New Black, the false blame for the results of prop 8, and the racist rantings of Dan Savage. I know that any racism that occurs in the LGBT community, exists because it is a microcosm of the larger society. Don Lemon's identity as a gay man, does not supersede his identity as a Black man.

Did Don Lemon Throw African-Americans Under The Bus?
Did Don Lemon Throw African-Americans Under The Bus? (WDBZ-AM Cincinnati)
While the admission from CNN Anchor Don Lemon that he is gay shocked many in the media world, many African Americans are concerned with Lemon's comments concerning homophobia and misogyny in the Black community.

No comments: